Friday, November 19, 2010

Things Got a Little Dicey

Well today, things got a little dicey with the new plan. I didn't eat anything that wasn't on the plan, but I also didn't stick to my meal schedule. I started off okay, in fact, I ate my oatmeal (with scrambled egg whites of course) and it looked like things were going to go as normal. I was even super proud of myself because I got up at 6 to run to Kroger and get some eggs as I had used the last of them yesterday. Commitment points for sure. I had to take Carter to his 4 month checkup this morning and that is where I got off track. I totally missed my midmorning snack altogether. Then, I came home for lunch before heading to court in the afternoon. I had cooked a few chicken breasts the night before and was afraid they would not be tasty because they looked to have a little bit of frostbite on them and then I thawed them in the microwave and I always think that is a bad idea. I was right. I started with baked chicken on top of romaine lettuce and 1/2 baked sweet potato. The chicken was totally inedible and I was in a time crunch. In a stroke of genius, I decided that I would use egg whites as my protein in a pinch, so I cooked up some egg whites. They tasted a little funny. A very familiar taste....hmmm....yes that was it, I clearly didn't get all of the dish soap out of the pan before I cooked my eggs. Gross. By that time, I was out of time, so I headed out the door for court with my apple in hand. My court appearance was really quick and I had already paid the babysitter, so I headed to Whole Foods to get my groceries for next week. By the time I got home, I wanted a little nap (a certain little boy woke me up in the middle of the night because he had a tummy ache). I slept right through my mid afternoon snack. For dinner, Billy wanted to go out to eat. I was reluctant, but like a good little dieting wife, I looked up the restaurant choices that Billy gave me and picked Outback because I was able to stick to my diet there. I even came home with a meal for tomorrow! I had Grilled Chicken on the Barbie with no bbq sauce and "served lightly." I had steamed vegetables and baked sweet potato, plain. I started off by cutting the chicken portion and the baked sweet potato in half and requesting a to go box so neither Billy nor myself would eat it. It was delicious! I swear, it is the exact same thing that I make for myself and it tastes 100 times better. The texture of the chicken was better (read: not chainsaw chicken...I am terrified of undercooked poultry). Even the baked sweet potato was better and it didn't have anything on it! That is how celebs stick to these diets...they have professionals hired to cook for them. I need to ask for cooking classes for Christmas!

That's a good idea, actually. I wonder where I could take a healthy cooking class? Anyone know of any in the Memphis area?

I will keep you posted on how the weekend goes. I was nervous, but now that I have made a grocery run and my fridge is stocked with healthy options, I am ready! I am so proud of my fridge when I open the doors. I should post a picture. It is literally teeming with yummy organic produce. Just a week ago, I only had condiments and beer in the fridge. I feel like a bona fide grown up!

2 comments:

  1. Look up Viking Classes-I think they have healthy classes and also I know Whole Foods offers cooking classes.

    Major props to you Holly. I would have kicked that clean eating to the curb by now, mostly for alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you! I am sure I will have a drink soon enough, but it's easy to not drink when you have a young un in your house! You'll see. Puts a damper on your social life for sure but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

    ReplyDelete