Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Conspiracy Theory

Well, it's my second day on my clean eating expedition. Today was also the second day that I tried to force myself to like oatmeal. Actually, I have tried on multiple occasions and I still find it the most repulsive substance on earth. Tomorrow, I think I will try steel cut oats instead of rolled oats. I have tried steel cut oats before, but they can't be worse than the oats I had this morning.

I do not plan on continuing to torture myself with the oatmeal, in case you were wondering. I am just trying to stick to the strict phase as closely as possible for the next two weeks. I did not realize at all that next Thursday was Thanksgiving. Excuse me, November, just where do you think you are going? I guess I will have no choice but to cheat a little on Thanksgiving but I promise myself that I will not eat ridiculous portion sizes like I always do. Also, I think I will eat my regular breakfast (egg whites and oats) and even possibly my mid morning snack (protein and complex carb). We do lunch at Billy's mother's house and then dinner at my aunt's house. I always save up to eat dinner since my mom cooks what her kids like the best. I think I will try to either just eat a teeny bit of some type of protein (turkey or something even though I don't really like Thanksgiving turkey. I know...I am weird) and maybe some green beans or something. That way, I will only be cheating for the one meal. I'll let you know how that turns out for me.

Today I realized something very scary...grocery stores are set up to make you fail at all diets and to make you FAT! I went to Kroger on the way home to pick up some rice cereal for Carter (he's getting so big!) and as I walked through my neighborhood Kroger, I was astonished at the things I saw. It's not like I've never been to the grocery store before, or even this one, but for some reason, now that I have started this new plan and been to the local health food store, I was totally shocked at what Kroger had to offer! For example, I headed straight to the produce section just to see what they had to offer since I am sure I won't ALWAYS be able to go to Whole Foods when I need some groceries. The produce section was okay, but not great. Then you have to travel through the baked goods section where the grocer tries to entice the diligent dieter with all sorts of yummy baked confections, not to mention the casseroles and unhealthy whatnot they serve at the deli counter! I went on around the store and as I made my way towards the baby aisle, I noticed that every single end display was for cupcakes, poptarts, chips and other assorted junk food. Not one single end display had anything of any nutritional value. In fact, the "healthy food sections" in the local grocery stores are hidden in and amongst the junk food rubble. Then, every single checkout line is fully stocked with an array of candies. No wonder we're all a bunch of fatties. (By we, I mean Americans...specifically Memphians). I was really scared from my visit today that when I do need to shop for my groceries, perhaps I should try and frequent the health food store every time. I am not sure if anyone has the willpower to say no to all that unhealthy goodness every single time she frequents the grocery!

Scary grocery trip aside, I stuck to the new regimen again today...two days down, a lifetime to go! If you're interested, what I ate today was:
Breakfast
Scrambled egg whites with one yolk
Oatmeal with cinnamon and vanilla extract

Mid Morning Snack
1/2 apple
sliced oven roasted turkey

Lunch
Romaine Lettuce salad with baked chicken and lemon juice
1/2 baked sweet potato

Afternoon snack
1/2 apple
sliced oven roasted turkey

Dinner
Baked chicken with chipotle pepper spice on top of a bed of spinach leaves, topped with avocado and tomato salad with lemon juice. I also put a teeny bit of balsamic vinegar on the salad (it was delicious!)
1/2 baked sweet potato

3 comments:

  1. Half of an apple?

    Holly, can you put stuff into your oatmeal-like peanut butter or a banana? It makes it more tolerable. Also, when you are out of this phase, there is a brand of almond butter called Justin's and they make a chocolate version. Die. Put that and shredded coconut in your oatmeal and BAM. Win. Also good in oatmeal, pumpkin (Libby's brand only) and pumpkin pie spice.

    Grocery stores are the devil but yet are so awesome. It's just big companies that own the advertisements. When did you last see an ad for an apple? sucks big time, which is why self-education on this subject is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, i prefer my oatmeal made with milk rather than water...it gives it a bit more flavor. or if possible try organic/natural yogurt(i love stoneyfield farms & yes, kroger & whole foods sell it)

    katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to eat clean too, and put 1/2 scoop protein powder (chocolate or vanilla) and peanut butter in my oatmeal. It's a complete meal w/your grain, protein, and healthy fat. I know some people are reluctant to try protein powder, but you really can do a lot more than just shakes with it. And Whole Foods usually has single serving packets if you just want to give it a try. (but you can buy jars of protein power for a lot cheaper, even at Target.) Good luck. Looking forward to more posts. And check out Clean Eating magazine. Some really good recipes.

    ReplyDelete