Sunday, January 9, 2011

Today was a soup day

From the looks of facebook, it seems like everyone I know headed to the grocery store to prepare for the snowstorm (which I am desperately hoping will give us a snow day tomorrow. I am perpetually a 5th grader, hoping to miss a "school day.") Since I would rather amputate my right arm than brave a crazed, snow-scared grocery crowd, I decided I would survey the contents of my pantry and see if we could make do with what we already had. I surmised that we have food for the baby, which finalized my decision. I was not going to the grocery store. I'd rather starve to death.

I decided I would try and make some black bean soup. A friend suggested a recipe, which sounded delicious, but would've required my previously vetoed grocery trip, so I made up my own recipe. Guess what? It was DELICIOUS! Now, we have some hearty and delicious black bean soup to eat tomorrow if we happen to be snowed in. Yummo.

Here's my recipe. At least, it's what I can remember throwing in. It was more of a "toss in what's in your pantry" kind of thing than an actual recipe.

I started with sauteing a pretty big onion (chopped) in some extra virgin olive oil. Then, I added 6 cloves of garlic (minced). (This much, I stole from the recipe. From there, it was a free for all).

Once the onions were translucent and the garlic had cooked for a few minutes, I added a can of chopped tomatoes (drained), a tablespoon of ketchup, two tablespoons of chili powder, and about 14 oz of low sodium chicken broth. Then, I added three cans of black beans (drained, not rinsed) and turned the heat up until the soup was boiling. I added a can of corn (drained and unsalted) and then a little bit of cumin, garlic salt and black pepper and let it cook until it thickened up a bit.

I have no culinary experience and I do not fancy myself a chef, by any means, but this makeshift soup is the bees knees. I took a test bite (or so many test bites that I finally put the soup into the fridge so we would have some for the snow storm) and it was perfect! Spicy, warm and delicious.

Happy Snow Day (hopefully).

1 comment: