Thursday, January 27, 2011

Squash-Adult Edition (Rated PG)

Tonight, we went out on a limb and had the spaghetti squash I prepared on Sunday afternoon. The verdict: it was DELICIOUS! I don't mean it was pretty good for health food "delicious," I mean, I would eat this on a regular basis and not feel like I was dieting at all delicious! Since you're wondering, though, a serving (one cup)of spaghetti squash has between 30 and 45 calories* (depending upon the calorie counter you're using, apparently, as I looked at a few nutritional websites and they each had different numbers). Real spaghetti has about 220 calories per cooked cup.

*That does not, of course, include the calories and fat that are in the olive oil I suggest you use, but olive oil contains healthy fats, so fear not.


I would highly suggest this tasty alternative. Here's how to cook it:

This is what it looks like in the store



Cut the squash in half, length-wise. It is no easy feat, so be careful that you don't sever your fingers in your attempts to cut calories.



Scrape out the pumpkin-like seeds and strings and dispose of those "guts."
Once the squash is clean, coat your hands with olive oil (you don't need much) and rub the squash down with the olive oil and minced garlic. (You can also spritz the squash with olive oil, but I did not have an olive oil spray dispenser). I was told to be really generous with the garlic and seasonings and it did not disappoint, so I will tell you the same thing...use a lot of garlic. Then sprinkle the squash with salt and pepper. Again, be generous. Finally, lightly drizzle with olive oil again.

Set the squash halves face up in a baking pan with about an inch of water. Bake at 375 degrees for at least 50 minutes. The squash should be coming away from the wrinkling skin a bit when it's ready, so don't take it out too early.

Once the squash is tender, let it cool. I will say this again. Let it cool. Otherwise, you may burn your hands and that would suck.
Using a fork, scrape the squash strings out into a bowl. Scrape as much as you can one way
and then flip and scrap the other way.



This is what it looks like

Since my spaghetti squash had been sitting in the fridge for a few days, I tossed the squash again with a bit of water, garlic and parmesan cheese and heated it up and topped it with some chunky spaghetti sauce.

Yum. It was seriously SO good. Billy agreed. Spaghetti squash may have to make the regular rotation here in the Holt kitchen. It was definitely worth the time it took to make it, and it is a great, low calorie substitute for the real thing.


Bon appetit!

* I learned how to cook this squash on The Daily Garnish (dailygarnish.com). Emily from the Daily Garnish gives great tutorials on cooking vegetables, especially ones that are a little tricky and intimidating like spaghetti squash so check her out!

3 comments:

  1. Dude! I made this this week too! Dinner jinx! Yours looks far better than mine though! I did mix in some butter.. Oopsie.

    ReplyDelete