Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Delicioso!

Yesterday, I decided that I needed to get rid of some ground turkey that I had in the freezer for a while, so I opted for turkey taco salads. Yum. It wasn't totally "clean," but I was using up old groceries so I am going to say what I actually made and then ways I would make it in the future to "clean" it up.

Meal: Turkey Taco Salads with Mexican Rice
I started by browning the ground turkey and cooking the Mexican Rice. In the future, I'll probably use brown rice and just add spicy seasoning to it to give it that south of the border flavor while keeping with the clean theme.

After I browned the turkey, I added a package of taco seasoning. Again, in the future, I'll probably just use chili spice and whatever other seasonings to spice up the taco meat, but I already had a taco seasoning package.

Then, I added about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of salsa to the ground beef and let it simmer, covered for a few minutes until the salsa soaked into the meat.

I put down a big bunch of shredded lettuce and topped it with a spoonful of the rice, then a spoonful of the ground turkey, and finished it off with a little shredded cheese. YUM! It was really good and I think with the above changes, it would be a really great "clean meal."

With all that said, however, I could not help but think of my newfound information regarding the food industry when I was cooking the ground turkey. I would be lying if I said it didn't gross me out a little bit. I wonder if I will ever be able to eat meat again without thinking of the source of the meat and what might be in it. I still ate it, though, and I ate it again today for lunch.

I still really want to make some additional changes to the food we eat, including eating less meat and making sure the meat we do consume is locally grown/raised and not factory farm, ammonia washed, disgusting chemical-laden meat.

On that note...happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. My mother in law brought me some blueberries because they "looked so good in the store". In January. I spared her a lecture...

    For you southerners with garages and huge freezers (or know someone with a deep freezer), y'all should team up with a local farm and get all of your meat from them-split the cost and deep freeze it. I only wish I had the space for that stuff....

    After the lottery, maybe I will.

    ReplyDelete