Saturday, January 22, 2011

Clean Mama

I decided that since my real purpose for trying to clean up my eating habits was to set a good, healthy example for the little nugget and to introduce the healthiest and most nutritional foods to him at an early age to hopefully shape his appetite into a healthy one, I needed to clean up his foods, too. I have been buying organic baby food, but I kept thinking that if I made my own baby food, I would KNOW for sure that the food I feed to him will be clean, fresh and free of any unwanted additives.

The next question was whether to buy a BabyCook (which I had heard lots about and REALLY wanted) or to buy a food processor (which I also REALLY wanted). Truth be told, I really wanted BOTH a BabyCook and a food processor, but as I didn't have an extra 300 bones laying around, I decided to make myself an informed consumer and headed to Williams Sonoma, where both BabyCooks and food processors are sold. I went to the W-S outlet and they didn't have any BabyCooks. I looked at the food processors and decided that I didn't need the nifty steamer/processor in one that the BabyCook provides. Plus the food processors were on sale. I got an AWESOME food processor. It's a Cuisinart Prep 9, 9 cup food processor. I am totally obsessed with it. I already made Carter some sweet potatoes and green beans. Yummy, nutritious, organic and made with love. Cheesy? Yes. Good for baby's health? Without question.

Without further ado...


Sweet potatoes. Peel, Chop, Cook until tender


Puree


Save the nutrient-rich water in which the vegetables are cooked to add to the pureed mix if necessary.
Add a little bit of the cooking water to thin out the puree a bit more and voila! Baby food!


Fresh green beans

Snap the ends off the beans and wash

Steam until very tender

Puree, adding water from steaming process, if necessary and you will have green beans fit for a prince. A 6 month old, hungry, drooling prince.

Do any of you make your own baby food? If so, I'd love some tips. I am going to go get a book so I will know what to do when he starts eating more tricky things (which is SOON) but I would love your input!







2 comments:

  1. smittenkitchen.com has some recipes for baby food. S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Morgan. I will check it out. I fed Carter the green beans today for lunch and he LOVED them! I don't know if it was that he loved green beans or if those tasted that much better than baby food or that he was just hungry. I choose to believe that they tasted better :)

    ReplyDelete