Monday, February 28, 2011

A Quick One

Tonight, I REALLY didn't want to cook. I had pretty much made up my mind that I was going to put the chicken that I'd been thawing in the fridge for another day. I felt guilty, though, and knew we shouldn't start out the week by eating like crapola.

The box of brown rice sitting in my pantry caught my eye and good ole Uncle Ben had a recipe on the back that gave me an idea. I didn't expect anything wonderful, so I didn't bother getting the camera out, but I should've! The meal was both easy on the eyes and delicious!

Here it is...

Quickie Stir Fry

-Cook 1 cup of brown rice on stovetop (per box instructions)
-Mix 2tbsp corn starch and 2tbsp water together, then add 1/4 cup soy sauce (I used Tamari, which is gluten free...not that I am on a gluten free diet, just fyi)
-Take 2 chicken breasts (Schnuck's now has hormone-free, organic free range chicken-yay!) and cook them in a skillet. I sprinkled the breasts with a teeny bit of garlic salt, onion powder and EVOO.
-Meanwhile, I had a bag of frozen stir fry containing broccoli and zucchini. Ben's recipe actually suggested other vegetables, but just use whatever you have. It's stir fry, you get the picture. I cooked it as directed.
-Once the chicken was almost cooked, I cut it into small strips (I could've, and probably should've done that first, but whatevs) and added the soy sauce mixture and vegetables.
-Top brown rice with a serving of the stir fry and ENJOY! This recipe is SUPER fast (like 15 minutes prep and cook time total) and it was really good. It contains a big serving of vegetables, plus some lean protein and whole grains. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment