Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Criss Cross Applesauce



This weekend, I made a few more food items for C-Money to keep him growing strong. I made apples and spinach/sweet potato puree.

He LOVED the apples. I used organic pink lady apples.

First, peel and slice apples into pieces. I used 3 or 4 apples. Then, steam the apple slices until they are very tender.



Very tender apples:
Put in food processor and puree until smooth. Add water from steaming to thin out if necessary.
Voila. Perhaps Carter's favorite so far. He seriously inhaled the apples. He loved them.


I also made a sweet potato and spinach puree. This time, instead of chopping and steaming the sweet potatoes, I baked one. It was MUCH easier, although both are relatively time consuming. First, pierce the sweet potato several times with a fork. Then, bake it for 50 or so minutes until really tender. I believe I baked it at 375.

Meanwhile, steam 2 cups of organic baby spinach.
Peel the sweet potato and cut it into chunks.


Pulse in food processor until pureed.
Add steamed spinach to the mix.



Puree until spinach is completely blended. It was a pretty gross color, but Carter Man seemed to like it just fine. He had it for dinner tonight. I froze it on Sunday and he has been eating the apples. I also froze some apples. Both of these dishes freeze well.


Sidenote: did y'all know that little kids cannot say "sitting Indian-style" in school anymore? My sister, a daycare teacher, informed me that now, "Indian-style" is called "criss-cross applesauce." I found this highly amusing. I am not trying to be insensitive. I am sure the term "Indian-style" is offensive to some people, but it was just such a common phrase from our childhood and apparently, the kids of today don't even know what sitting "Indian-style" means. Personally, I think they could've come up with a more suitable replacement than "criss cross applesauce," but whatever.

Sidenote 2: did any of you happen to catch Oprah yesterday? She had Michael Pollan, a representative from Cargill meat and the Veganist all on her show, and the Harpo employees had a one week vegan challenge. It was pretty interesting. I was impressed that Pollan and The Veganist were able to sit together without argument, but more impressed that the Cargill manager was not physically and verbally assaulted by the two of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment