Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Giving meat up for Lent(ils)

Tonight, we had lentil enchiladas. I based the recipe off of Mama Pea's recipea from peasandthankyou.com. If you haven't looked at her blog, do it. She is so cute and funny and her blog posts are really smart, while giving delicious vegetarian recipes.

Anyway, my recipe was pretty loosely based on hers, as I didn't have a lot of the ingredients she used.

For example, I used green lentils instead of red ones, because I had a package of green lentils I purchased on a whim a few weeks ago.

I rinsed the lentils



Minced up an onion and chopped and seeded a jalapeno (I only used about 1/2 of the onion) .

Got healthy wraps for the tortillas
I didn't take a picture of it, but after the lentils are rinsed, you need to cook them. I used part vegetable broth and part water and cooked them in a saucepan on the stovetop for about 10 minutes, until they were al dente.

Meanwhile, saute the chopped jalapeno and onion in a large pan. Once the vegetables are soft, add the cooked (drained) lentils, about 1/2 of a jar of taco sauce and a little bit of salsa to the pan and heat it through.
Then, spoon the mixture into your tortillas and roll them up in a baking dish.


Cover the remainder with taco sauce, salsa, and reduced fat cheese (this is Sargento's Reduced Fat Mexican cheese blend)

Bake at 350 until cheese has melted and enchiladas are heated through.
Top with whatever you like. We topped with light sour cream and served with Mexican style rice. It was good, but I almost wished we had a salad of sorts with the meal since there was a lot of carb-y food here.

All in all, it was a very satisfying and tasty meal. Billy and I both could only put away one of these enchiladas. They were very filling and the texture of the lentils almost made it seem like there was meat in the enchiladas.

I have decided that we will not give up meat entirely right now (we're just not ready to give up meat for lent(ils) just yet), but will try to incorporate meatless meals into our daily routine. I think limiting the meat intake and adding more vegetables is how we are going to play things right now. I have PLENTY of leftovers, so we should be good in case we get snowed in!

No comments:

Post a Comment