Sunday, April 11, 2010

So I haven't blogged in a while

I should be working, preparing for a settlement conference I have tomorrow, but, instead, I decided I needed to update my blog. I haven't updated in a while, and needing a distraction from the work I need to be doing was the perfect motivator. I am watching Julie & Julia, and although it just started, I can totally identify with the main character, Julie. Not in the way that she loves to cook, because I would never fancy myself a chef, but in the way that she does not want to be defined by her depressing job. She uses her cooking, and then her blog about cooking, to escape the troubles that plague her mind in the day. Perhaps I need an escape like that, instead of heading home and straight for the couch, after my particularly rocky days.

I would love to use my blog as a release of stress, but I have tried my best thus far not to use this as a medium for complaining. I do enough of that every day and I do not need to put my complaints out there for all the world to see. After all, there are probably millions of readers waiting for me to update my blog each day. Haha.

I read my sister's blog a few minutes ago (www.blissfullytheirs.blogspot.com), and she blogged about her love of summer, so I will too. We share this great love for summer, probably due to our endless summers spent swimming away. I swear not a day went by in the summers growing up when we did not swim. We used to have to use special shampoo called Ultra Swim to keep our blonde locks from turning green from chlorine! (After all that swimming and sunning, you would think that the two of us would've been bronzed beauties, but sadly, it just added to our millions of freckles). Anyway, I LOVE summertime. I love the smells, sounds and sights of summer. I love the smell of cut grass and sunscreen. Whenever I smell either of these delicious smells, it takes me back to my carefree summer days. Ahh. I can feel the sunshine on my face. I also love the smell of honeysuckle. I love the sound of the warm summer breeze through the trees, and soft chirps of the insects and creatures of the night. I love the way all of the green lawns look, and how everything looks more alive with the sun shining down on it. I feel like when spring finally comes, and the last of the cold is gone for the year, a sort of depression that has been covering the city lifts, and people are noticeably happier. It may be my imagination, but I really think people are truly happier in the summer. Maybe that's why people who live in the Caribbean always seem so happy and carefree. They are on perpetual summer time!

I have wondered on more than one occasion, considering my passionate love for the summer, why I did not become a teacher. I so miss having the entire summer off, and I don't think there's another career that allows you to have summers free to swim and play. I initially thought that I could never be a teacher because I thought they didn't make any money and I could not deal with the constant stupidity surrounding me. Turns out, the joke is on me. I am still surrounded by idiots and jerks every day, and I envy a teacher's salary, benefits and retirement! I envy teachers. It does not help that my husband is a teacher, and I have to leave him in bed every summer morning while I head off to work. In fact, it makes me want to suffocate him with a pillow, but it's my own fault. So I continue to suffer through the summers, gazing out the window of my office at the beautiful sunshine, with the knowledge that my husband and all the other teachers are getting tans and lazing the days away.

My advice to everyone, including myself, is to head outside with a glass of sweet tea (or crystal light for my calorie conscious readers), let the sun shine on your faces, and take in the wonderful smells, sights and sounds of summer. Don't forget your sunscreen!

No comments:

Post a Comment