Thursday, September 23, 2010

Hello Fall







I heard on the Today show that today was the first day of fall. Although our fourth consecutive day of ninety plus degree, record breaking temperatures makes this tidbit of knowledge less believable, I have been told that next week, fall temperatures are headed to Memphis. Finally.
I love fall. I think I say this of every season when each one starts. I love the beginning of every season, and by the end, I am ready for the next one. Fall is particularly wonderful, though, as it signals the end of scorching temperatures and the beginning of football season.

As anyone who knows me personally knows, I support the University of Tennessee (in all sports, especially football), and this is a "rebuilding" year for my beloved Vols. (That is subject for another blog...this is a positive blog about the start of a new season). A good football team is not the only reason to celebrate, though. I love UT for a variety of reasons, one of which being its location. I LOVE Knoxville. I love love love the drive from Memphis to Knoxville once the leaves have changed. Interstate 40 literally becomes a corridor of the most gorgeous fall colors imaginable. As you get closer to Knoxville, the landscape changes from the flat, colorless scene of West Tennessee to the mountainous, gorgeous scene of East Tennessee. Seriously, the rich reds, oranges, yellows and greens that dot the mountainsides are breathtaking. Every time I drive to Knoxville in the autumn, I fall a little more in love with the mountains.





As if the picturesque mountains were not enough to make you fall in love, once you get to Knoxville on a game day, the sea of orange is pretty much the most beautiful sight ever. There is a hum of excitement on game days and whether the Vols are winning or losing, Neyland stadium is nearly always packed with supporters in orange. I know that I am biased, but I think it is beautiful.



3 comments:

  1. I need a blogging tutor. I am literally incapable of making my crap look nice. The Vols pics were supposed to be above the paragraph discussing the Vols but I am not smart enough to figure out how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be going to my first UT game in Knoxville in November. Hopefully they can beat Ole Miss. I just don't know about wearing orange.

    As far as the pics go, you have to move them. It's a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg Caroline it is so fun. Even non-Tennessee fans appreciate the fun atmosphere! As for the orange, if you can't stomach full-blown UT orange, I suggest wearing white with orange accessories. It's a good way to ease on in :)

    ReplyDelete