Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Confessions of a Lazy Blogger





So it's been a few weeks since I last blogged and I felt obligated to update even though I don't think I have any readers. I was trying to think about what I should write about and the choice was pretty obvious as my mind is completely preoccupied with one thing and one thing only: Carter. I will be the first to admit, I am pretty much obsessed with him. Not to sound like a total cliche but I had no idea how much my life would change when I brought this baby home. I mean, I knew that there would be less sleep and more diapers and I would have to care for someone else every single day, so that part, I was prepared for, but I was not prepared with how much I would change.

I have long believed myself to be an insensitive, non maternal asshole, basically. Turns out, I have some maternal instinct after all. Perhaps even more surprising, I love being a mother. I truly questioned whether or not I had the chops to be a satisfactory mom, and I worried that I was too selfish to enjoy the wonderful benefits that other mothers enjoyed. My reaction to this little man totally put to rest any fears I had that I might not completely love motherhood. I never thought I would want my baby to sleep in my room, but he is still in his bassinet and I don't want to put him in his own room AT ALL! Also, I have never once even thought that I might want to stay at home with children. In fact, I was so sure that I would want to come back to work that I scheduled a court hearing just 8 weeks after I had him. It turns out, I'd like nothing better than to be able to stay at home and take care of my little man. It nearly killed me to drop him off at the babysitter's house last week. Luckily, I spoke to my boss and will be working from home on Fridays so that I can spend some time with my little boy. I continue to surprise myself every day and I cannot wait to see what other surprises this little boy has in store for me.

I posted few recent pics of my sweet Carter man.

Although I adore being a mom, I do not adore the unsolicited advice that new mothers receive. (See earlier post regarding unsolicited advice for pregnant women). I swear, it's worse once you have a baby. I did not think it was possible for people to be more annoying than they were when I was pregnant and they were showering me with their pearls of wisdom but I was sorely mistaken. For example, I have received several eye rolls and a few "Oh Holly" comments when mentioning that Carter is still sleeping in a bassinet in my room. I do not give a flying expletive what everyone else thinks is right, I will put him in his room when I am good and ready. Also, you would not believe how many people roll their eyes and think it is "hogwash" that new moms have their newborns sleep on their backs. Older mothers insist that we all slept on our stomachs and we are all fine. I want to tell these old bags that there has been a LOT of research on what the safest sleeping position for babies is and it is, in fact, on their backs. I am not saying that mothers whose kids sleep on their stomachs are in any way bad moms, I am just saying that my child likes to sleep on his back, and that is the recommended sleeping position for babies, especially ones that cannot roll over yet, so for now he will sleep on his back. I also want to tell them that back in the day, people didn't put their kids in car seats, but that doesn't mean it's safe to toss the kid in the backseat and roll out. People also used to drink and smoke when they were pregnant and we now know that is ridiculous. All of these things have changed because of what we now know and I don't need some random woman telling me what I should do with my baby. Okay, enough ranting. I am going to go back to enjoying my sweet baby :)

3 comments:

  1. Carter has grown so much!

    And your rant on unwanted advice is HILARIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carter is so cute. You are so lucky that you'll get to spend more time with him. Love your rant on advice. Everyone thinks they know everything, but remember...opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Caroline, I love that saying. So true!

    ReplyDelete