Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Tofu Tuesday

Last night, I braved the land of tofu again. Mama Pea said that if I didn't like tofu, it was because I didn't know how to cook it. I tried again and she was right...as usual.

I made tofu tacos based on her recipe.

First, I pressed the tofu in between two cutting boards and underneath some cookbooks.



Then, I made the marinade.
I had Mama Pea with me at all times so I wouldn't have a subpar tofu experience like the last time I tried it. Billbo was skeptical that I could make tofu that we would both enjoy. I was skeptical, too, but my desire to be like MP drove me to give it another shot. I'm glad I did.

After slicing the tofu unto pieces, I marinated it overnight and then broiled it. My slices are not as pretty as the pro's, but I bet they tasted just as good.

My ugly tofu slices.

While the tofu cooked, I made some guacamole. I left my camera at work so I had to use my old one and the pictures are all blurry. Lame. The guacamole was pretty basic (avocado, lime juice, onions, cumin & salt), and despite my inability to choose a ripe avocado, it tasted pretty good.


I didn't make my own salsa...I figured these folks did it better anyway.
Much like my pancake flipping skills, my tofu flipping skills could use a little work.

Here's the spread: Whole grain, whole wheat tortillas (toasted in a dry pan to crisp a bit), guacamole, shredded lettuce, salsa, cheddar cheese (hey...I'm not vegan) and tofu. I also saved a bit of ground beef from the whole grain wheat spaghetti I made on Monday night in case Billbo boycotted the tofu.


Here is Billy's plate...one beef soft taco and one tofu soft taco. He liked them both. Success!
Served with a side of whole grain Santa Fe style rice, courtesy of Uncle Ben. It was delicious! I fully intend on exploring more meatless options. While I have no intentions of becoming a vegetarian (who are we kidding...I don't have that kind of discipline), I do think that having some meatless meals each week is a healthy choice for the family.
Yum.

Stay tuned for more meatless options to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment